Dianetics Evolution of a Science
Summary[edit | edit source]
This book is the first Dianetics/Scientology publication. It came a month or so before the publication of Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health and it came not in book form but as an article in the May 1950 Astounding Science Fiction magazine where it is described by the editor, John W. Campbell, Jr, as "a fact article of genuine importance". Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health had the publication date as May 1950. "Pulp" magazines, including Astounding Science Fiction, at that time always had the publication date a month or more after they were actually available to the public. Afterwards in 1950 the article was published as a book.
Details[edit | edit source]
In the 1972 edition of the book there is a preface of two pages which does not appear in the download we are offering you. The beginning of that preface reads as follows:
- "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science was the first broad publication of a subject of great importance to mankind.
- Issued as a book-length feature in an American national magazine it received a startling immediate and wide response from scientists, engineers and the general public. Telling the story of a major branch of L.Ron Hubbard's research it came as something of a "preview of the avalanche".
- The avalanche was Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.
- Published in May, 1950, Dianetics shot to the top of the best-seller lists across the country and stayed there week after week and month after month – and has been a continuing best-seller of international importance ever since.
- World response to Dianetics was typically expressed in terms like those of the New York Times review of Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health : "as with all great books, the impact of Dianetics means the world will never be the same again. History has become a race between Dianetics and catastrophe. Dianetics will win if enough people are challenged, in time, to understand it."
- While the psychiatric associations publicly set up a dissident howl, an enormous number of individual psychiatrists privately described Hubbard's work as the first validly workable technology in the field of the mind. … "
Scientology Books Free Downloads[edit | edit source]
- Recommended first books for those new to the subject: A New Slant on Life, Self Analysis and The Fundamentals of Thought